Thursday, March 24, 2011

Growing Old Gracefully

Growing up, I remember seeing lots of celebrities and actresses like Lauren Hutton and Diane Keaton talk about the makeup conglomerate that they represent and how if you use their makeup, you too could grow old gracefully. Lately, I've really realized how much of a fallacy growing old gracefully really is.


My grandparents are getting up there in age and starting to really show the signs of old age. My Grandmother can't use a walker because she is too weak and my Grandfather has Alzheimer's or Dementia or something of that nature. He's in the hospital for the next three days getting test after test to determine the state of health. It's actually all very sad. 


My grandparents have always been in my life. They lived close by us growing up so we would go over to their little one bedroom apartment for holidays. Now, I live 600 miles away so I'm relying on my Dad to provide updates. He really does a good job at doing that but it's still really hard to hear how quickly things go downhill.


I just hope that people open their eyes, hearts and minds to the fact that just because they may be old, they are still people with feelings and fears. I hope the doctor's don't half-ass tests just to make a buck and they really drill down to the cause of what is causing my Grandfather to be so lost. I love my Grandparents so much and actually dread when my Dad's number shows up on my caller id for the fear that I've lost one of them.


The advice for the day is to hug those that you love and don't take them for granted. 



No comments: